The blog of one girl's quest to figure out what she wants to do with her life and what she is passionate about as she travels through college and beyond

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

London Days 15&16: fabric shopping, and 3 west end shows in two days!

Tuesday was a great day. we spent the morning at the Victoria and Albert Museum, which was so amazing. this place was huge! and while I'm not one who likes to spend hours and hours in museums, we went to some really cool exhibits that I really enjoyed. particularly, the fashion and theater exhibits (I know, my interests are really broad.)


After that, I spent a large portion of the day fabric shopping, which was great. It is so nice to be in a city where a Joann Fabrics doesn't exist and there are so many better options. On this one street alone (goldhawk road if anyone is wondering or if I ever forget and want to go back and find it) we probably went to over 10 fabric shops. I only walked away with one cut of fabric, but I'm excited to go back! and to explore the other areas of town that I know are full of more fabric stores.

That Night I got home, and my roommates and I were planning on taking the evening to relax and do some homework, until we got a knock on the door and were invited to go see Woman in Black. I don't think I've ever been to a scary play in my life, and didn't really think it was possible, but seriously, this show was terrifying. despite the row of the loudest most obnoxious 13ish year old girls sitting in front of us, we all loved this show.  I found it so interesting because the actual woman in black doesn't actually show up that many times. when she does, the way she moves is really scary, but for the most part you just live in fear of her showing up, or the shrieking scream that happens a few times in the show. for the most part, the scary parts of the play come from lighting and sound, which I loved.

Wednesday was a crazy day. after class, a few of us went to get tickets for the matinee show of Chorus Line. I knew a couple songs from it, but I didn't really know the story line before hand. Im not sure what exactly I was expecting, but it was a lot different than I thought it would be. It was a great show and actually was a really interesting idea for a musical. the entire story line takes place during one audition as we learn about the different characters and find out who gets hired. It wasn't my favorite thing that I've seen since being in London, but I enjoyed it a lot. I love that it was a musical about the theater business and that there was a ton of dancing.

After the show was over, my roommate and I grabbed some food and headed over to Billy Elliot. This show wasn't what I was expecting either, but It was great too. Again, this show had a ton of dancing which I loved. and this kid who played the lead was incredible. Im not sure how old the actor was but the character was 12 and this kid was an amazing dancer. So impressive. This show didn't make it to the short(ish) list of my favorite shows I've seen in London, but I'm really glad I saw it too.

Haydn Gwynne (left), Liam Mower and the Ballet Girls in Billy Elliot - The Musical



I'm not sure if I am going to try another two show day any time soon since it turned into a LONG day. But it was awesome , I got to see two great shows, and now Im ready to sleep in tomorrow, and get some much needed rest before seeing ANOTHER show tomorrow night with the class


No comments:

Post a Comment