The blog of one girl's quest to figure out what she wants to do with her life and what she is passionate about as she travels through college and beyond

Thursday, May 9, 2013

London days 1&2: Arrial, Big Ben, & LES MIS!!

Well, I finally made it to London! I have been planning on doing this study abroad for probably close to 3 years, so I can hardly believe im finally here! For the next 6ish weeks, London will be my home and I will have the amazing opportunity to learn about theater while living in the theater capital of the world!

 My adventure started Monday Afternoon in the San Fransisco airport. Saying goodbye to my parents and walking through security alone was a little but more emotional than I thought it would be, but I was excited to travel on my own. When I got to the gate I was surprised to see one of the only British people I know, a friend from college was on the same flight as me heading home. We left san Fransisco at 7pm and landed in the Heathrow airport at 2pm on tuesday after 10 hours of flying. I left the airport, did my best to navigate the Tube and made it to our flats without too much trouble (I'll definitely have to post pictures of where we are staying later) that first night we all got settled, did a little shopping, eating and walked around the area before going to bed early.
Wednesday was or first day of class, we are all taking Shakespeare, and British theater while here in London. Our classes are being taught in a church building a few blocks from our flats.

After class, a few of us went grocery shopping then decided to so some site seeing. We got on the tube, and got off at the Westminster stop to see Big Ben, when your come out of te tube you are literally Right next to Big Ben.




 We walked around the parliament building, and around Westminster abbey and through Deans court.


 We crossed over the Thames and down the shore all the way to the national theater. The south bank was really awesome, there were all sorts of restaurants and vendors, even a skate park





On our way home we ran into some other girls from our program who said they were going to head over to the west end and try to get tickets for a show, quite a few of us decided to join them, and we all ended up getting student tickets for Les Mis! the theater was much smaller than I would have guessed for such a big show, and I was six rows from the front! as the beginning notes of Look Down began to play I couldn't wipe the smile from my face, and ended up completely enthralled in the show. the actors all did an amazing job, some specific moments with the combination of the music and staging were so powerful, it was the perfect show to start the trip off with.

It's definitely been a magical first two days in London. the city is beautiful and interesting and there is so much to do! Maybe I just haven't been to the really busy parts of the city, but in general I think I was expecting it to be as crazy as New York is all the time, and that really hasn't been the case. Its been fun exploring the city and taking the tube and bus around, and I'm excited for all the adventures in store for me!!

No comments:

Post a Comment