The blog of one girl's quest to figure out what she wants to do with her life and what she is passionate about as she travels through college and beyond

Sunday, May 19, 2013

London Days 11 & 12: Tower of London, Sherlock Holmes and Portobello Road

The last two days in London have been amazing! On Friday we went to the Tower of London as a class which was SO fun. It is one of the places I have been excited to go to, and it was so worth it.

First off, I knew this before I came but I guess its important to say that the tower of London isn't actually a tower at all, its more of a castle. and its so cool. I couldn't get over how beautiful and old everything was.


Its also literally right next to tower bridge, which is absolutely gorgeous too, and another place I've been excited to visit.


we had a blast wandering around these old buildings, up tiny staircases and spending time in rooms were prisoners were kept hundreds of years ago.


we saw ravens! which was so awesome. I knew that ravens have sort of been associated with the tower since forever ago, but I didn't know they still kept some around. It was super exciting, but this was probably the most terrifying bird I have ever been this close to. Behind that smile, I was legitimately worried it was going to try to peck my eyes out.


overall it was a really awesome few hours. we got to see the crown jewels, old suits of armor and weapons, and learn about the creepier side of the tower of London. I also ate fish and chips, which was on my to do list for London.

After we finished up at the tower, I got to go to the Sherlock Holmes Museum with some of the other girls. Originally when the books were written, a Baker street didnt even exist, but since then, it has been build, and 221B Baker street has been turned into a museum, thats set up to look like Sherlock and Dr Watsons house.







and once again, there was a LOT of geeking out going on.


The day continued to be amazing, as we went and saw the musical Once that night. this show won tons of Tony awards last year, and I remember looking it up after that, but I didnt really remember much about the story line or the music. But seriously, this show was amazing. It's not your typical musical, but I absolutely loved it. the music was absolutely amazing, the story was sweet and touching, Its probably one of my favorite things I've seen since coming to London.


if you get a chance, look up the songs Leave and Falling Slowly from Once: a New Musical. Ive been a little bit obsessed for the past two days!

Saturday was great as well. we slept in a little before going to Portobello Road, where there is a HUGE market on Saturdays. there is food, produce, antiques, more touristy stuff, It was great. after walking through it for 3 hours and not being anywhere near done, we decided it was time to turn around, but we are definitely going back. there was all sorts of really cool stuff, I walked away with some bracelets  vintage buttons from the 50s, and was more than a little tempted by some vintage sunglasses and cameras. 

Satruday Night the class went to see King Lear at this pretty small theater. It was in Greenwich, and to be honest I have no idea where that is. I could tell you how to get there using the tube and trains, but I don't know where we were in relation to London. it was a pretty cool area, and looked a lot different than everywhere else we have been in London so far. the show was...interesting. I think it was just a community theater production. I think everyone agreed that the acting left something to be desired, and the costumes...and the lighting and set, but they DID do some really interesting staging that I appreciated, and we had fun getting lost on our way home, so it was an adventure!




No comments:

Post a Comment