The blog of one girl's quest to figure out what she wants to do with her life and what she is passionate about as she travels through college and beyond

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

My time in London

Well here it is! My last post from London. I'm sitting in Heathrow airport with a little bit of extra time and reflecting on the past 6 weeks. I'll try to keep this at least a little bit organized but we'll see...

First off let me say that I have loved living in London. This city is beautiful. Full of history, art, theater, and food. This is a gorgeous country full of amazing people. Living here for the past 6 weeks has been a life changing experience and I have learned so much.

My favorite things I did in England
It's hard to narrow it down but here it is:
• seeing the Royal Shakespeare Company. Those two shows were pretty freaking far up there on the list of best theater I have ever seen. I have come to love this organization, and I feel like As You Like It and Hamlet-the two shows we saw there have reshaped my view of theater and my love of design and it's importance.
•the globe theater. Again, I just love Shakespeare, and this trip has made me love his plays 100 times more. The globe very well might be my favorite place in London.
• being outside in England, whether it was walking around the country side, exploring an old castle, or going to one of London's many parks, I just can't get over no gorgeous this country is. I love it!
• crepes. Nuff' said.
• the markets, cool antique shops, used book stores and vintage clothing stores that are everywhere. There is just so much cool stuff to look at in London, especially when you are shopping in places like this.


What I will miss
•the food. Oh man the food. Pub food, bakeries, candy, I have loved the food in London. Unfortunately that has also led to what has probably been the most unhealthy 6 weeks of my life. I'm a little appalled at what my diet has consisted of. but I enjoyed it, loved it, and am looking forward to quitting chocolate cold turkey when I get back to Provo.
• living in the city and taking public transportation. I love taking the tube places, and although I am exited to be reunited with my car, I will miss taking the tube a lot. Even the Piccadilly line, which although everyone hated it for being so busy, takes you to the best places in London in my opinion ( mostly just the west end)
•the people.  Although living with 30 other girls could get a little crazy, I'll definitely miss the other people in the program
•living somewhere with so much theater. This is the one that I am really distraught about. London is the theater Capitol of the world! And I am absolutely terrified that I will never live somewhere with so much amazing, accessible, experimental and creative theater.

What I have learned
One of my professors here in London kept telling us this quote by Oliver Wendall Holmes, that "One's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions". This is something that I have come to believe so strongly while on this trip, because I have learned quite a few really important things.
• first is how much I learned about theater. I have experienced some of the very best theater on the planet in the past few weeks, a fact that continues to blow my mind. I have always appreciated and loved theater. But this trip has reaffirmed to me over and over that theater is a beautiful, moving and important art form. It allows us to explore humanity, experience things vicariously and create beauty and joy. 
• I've leaned about other people. One of the best things about living in london was the opportunity to go to church here and meet the people. In my ward I had people from all over the world. I grew to love the members of the white chapel ward so much, 
•I've also learned a lot a out myself. I missed home while I was here. ( home being Provo for the most part) I think this is the first time in my life that I went somewhere where I really didn't know anyone. I grew to love my professors and all of the other students in the program, but it really is a blessing to be surrounded by people who know and love you. I also missed school. Not so much the classes, but definitely the creative outlet of working on shows or films. I loved seeing shows, but I missed getting to be creative. After this trip I know now that I can travel all by myself without getting lost or killed. I love traveling, and I love big cities so much. It was amazing to finally get to live in one, even if it was just for a short time. I have always loved traveling, but now more than ever I am excited to travel and see what the world has to offer.

So... It's been an amazing few weeks, and an experience that I know I will never forget. I was rained on  in the globe theater, went fabric shopping in Paris, ate crepes until I was practically sick and fulfilled my long time dream of seeing Big Ben. Lots of people in the program are really sad to be headed home, and even more sad to go back to Provo. But I can't wait. I'll miss London, but I love school, and have some amazing opportunities ahead of me.  And am excited to get back to it all!

No comments:

Post a Comment