The blog of one girl's quest to figure out what she wants to do with her life and what she is passionate about as she travels through college and beyond

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

London day 35: headed to Stratford!

Tuesday was great. After getting up really early, we got on a bus and headed to Stratford. We stopped a few places along the way

We stopped at Coventry cathedral for about half an hour. Coventry is a beautiful town, but it was totally bombed during world war II. Coventry cathedral is the shell go an old cathedral that was bombed. It was a beautiful building with such a sad history.



Next we stopped at Kenilworth castle for about an hour. It's the ruins of a castle and basically feels like a huge jungle gym. It was absolutely gorgeous, and had such a cool history. This was the castle where henry V was when the dauphin of France sent him tennis balls! Having just designed the costumes for that show, I started geeking out a little when I learned that the tennis ball thing really happened and that Henry V was here!






After that, we spent a few hours at Warwick castle. This is an castle that has been turned into a bit of a theme park. We watched a trebuchet being fired, falconry, archery, and got to climb around in this beautiful place.





We finally got to Stratford, and after checking into our bed and breakfast. We walked around a little before finding what looked like a cool pub with good prices. I got bangers and mash again, and this really might be a new favorite food. I just love it! I really like eating at pubs. In a big group it's easy because you pay individually, I like that you pay before so you can just hang out if you want or just eat and run. Plus I really just love the atmosphere.

That night we want and saw As you like it by the royal Shakespeare company. This show was amazing. As far as acting goes I don't think it was my favorite that I've seen, but the directors concept and the design of everything was just beautiful. From the styling of the costumes which was just so fun and imaginative, to the final scene which had Orlando and Rosalind kissing in the mud and rain, it was just one of he most joyous, creative, beautiful things I've ever seen. Honestly this show is sort of what I wish the world looked like. I applaud the design team for this show, and hope that one day I can create something as beautiful and unique.

Sorry for all the pictures. They are more for myself than anything else, but I also want to try to show you how awesome this show was! Think of a strange cross between  J Crew models, a carnival, the village people, and pinterest and you might sort of get the idea. Also, here is the URL to a YouTube video of some of the footage from the production, watch it!! Sorry, can't insert a Video on my iPad.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHL6LzDpZ_4&sns=em
















No comments:

Post a Comment