The blog of one girl's quest to figure out what she wants to do with her life and what she is passionate about as she travels through college and beyond

Saturday, June 8, 2013

London Days 29 & 30: The National Theater, Hampton Court and Top Hat

The beautiful weather continues here in London! Its so nice, I just want to be outside all the time. After class on Wednesday, after some plans fell through, my roommates and I decided to do some walking around in Soho. We walked through Soho square, down Charing Cross Road which is full of used book stores and clothing stores (I bought myself a vintage hardback copy of Jane Eyre, my favorite book). we got some food at one of our favorite bakeries, enjoyed the sun in Trafalgar Square, walked around through lots of the West End Theaters, and got some food in china town before meeting up with our classmates. I love this area of town because it has everything. food, shopping, theater, museums-and they are all so close. It is literally everything I love about London.





After a while of that, we met up with with our classmates right across the Thames at the National Theater for a backstage tour. It was fun getting shown around the theater spaces, seeing the sets, and learning more about the shows that this theater produces. We are seeing a show here on Saturday, so Im definitely excited about that

After the tour was over, my roommates went to see Les Mis, so I headed home. Usually Im always with someone here in London. But the few times that Ive found myself alone, I cant help but remember that I am in a huge city, far away from everyone I know and love. Its a little crazy to think about, but I love this city, and even love the distance. Distance always buts everything into really good perspective, which I love. I went to Hyde Park and read Jane Eyre until the sun started to set. It was definitely a perfect evening in London

On Thursday we all went to Hampton Court. As our professors told us how we would be getting there and were handing out our train tickets, I really didn't know what in the world Hampton Court was. But it turns out to be a really cool palace. Henry VIII and many other royals lived there. Originally it was a huge tutor style palace, then half of it was updated to Boroque architecture, which means that it sort of looks like two totally different buildings stuck together, but I loved it! we had a great time exploring, and going through the different exhibits. This palace also has beautiful gardens!






That night my roommate and I went to see Top Hat. we didn't know exactly what this show was. but we knew it was based on an old movie and was sort of in the same category as Singing in the Rain. we both absolutely loved this show. It was full of tap dancing, romance, comedy, beautiful costumes, it was great. We were also in the very front row, which was really cool. Because of the size and height of the stage, they were great seats, and we could see right into the orchestra pit, which was fun since its a side of live theater that I've never had anything to do with. we were sitting pretty close to right behind the conductor and were able to watch the musicians mess with each other and change instruments (one guy played 5 instruments throughout the show). we were close enough to the stage to be able to see everything from the mics on their tap shoes to the fronting on their wigs, which I thought was way cool. We both absolutely loved the show.







No comments:

Post a Comment